Friday, March 28, 2014

I am Woman...

Gloria Steinem and Dorothy Pitman Hughes 

Even in 2014 I personally can say I have felt oppressed because I am a woman.  I have felt unsafe and scared simply because of my gender.  I have experienced my male counter parts confusion when its past midnight and I am nervous to walk home or to the subway.  The freedom of walking down the street and not worrying is in fact a male freedom. 

With that said I have taken great pride in my womanhood and all the power it provides me.  I do not shy away from walking home alone past midnight and I do act tough when in fact I am nervous and unsure of the street I am on.  I walk as if I am genderless and would have no cause to pull my head down. I do this for my fellow woman, and I learned this from women like Gloria and Dorothy. They stepped up when woman needed them most, they laid their lives and freedoms on the line so you and I could say to the world, "This is my body my mind and my dreams and I will not go quietly into the night".

No comments:

Post a Comment